Are you a mocha or a latte person and struggling to lose weight? Coffee amazingly benefits you with weight loss if used properly and in moderation. Before knowing more about weight loss coffee, did you know that your morning cup of coffee comes with health benefits like reduced risk of heart disease, preventing Type 2 diabetes and age-related diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson disease.
As a coffee lover, I love to experience the aroma of freshly brewed coffee, mild nutty & caramelized flavor of the coffee beans which makes me fall in love every time I make coffee. I’m sure you can feel the essence of coffee as you read if you’re a coffee lover.
So, let’s see if we can burn some fat and lose some weight with weight loss coffee
Before that Let’s understand
Does Coffee help you lose weight?
Yes, coffee helps in losing weight as coffee is rich in nutrients like B vitamins, potassium, manganese, polyphenols, and antioxidants. These nutrients aids in fat loss and weight loss.
How coffee helps you lose weight
- Coffee induces faster metabolic rate due to a substance called caffeine. Caffeine increases energy expenditure and helps in thermogenesis (which means breaking down the food particles and helps in heat generation- breaking down fat into fatty acids which are used as energy, and there goes your fat!)
- Caffeine in coffee suppresses your appetite by increasing adrenaline (the reason why it keeps you on high alert) and decreasing ghrelin (the reason why you feel less hungry). Research shows that caffeine consumption results in significant decrease in weight, BMI and body fat.
- Apart from caffeine, coffee also contains chlorogenic acids which speeds up the process of fat loss and weight loss.
Coffee that helps you lose weight
If you’re a coffee lover and wanting to lose weight, Black coffee would be a wonderful addition in your weight loss journey.
Here’s How you can make your fat cutter coffee /weight loss coffee.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp coffee powder
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 3-4 pepper corns
- 1 inch cinnamon
Note: No sugar!
- Take 2 cups of water and add all the ingredients above and boil it till it reduces to one cup. Filter it.
- Your weight loss coffee is ready
Isn’t it simple?
Here are other weight loss coffee variations you can try!
- Lemon coffee: You can squeeze in ½ tsp of lemon in your regular espresso shot/ weight loss coffee as mentioned above, as citric acid and vitamin C in lemon activates fat burning hormones and helps in fat loss.
- Cinnamon coffee: Adding a pinch of cinnamon powder to your espresso shot will increase the antioxidants and fastens your weight loss process.
- Bullet coffee: Add 1 tsp of grass-fed butter / coconut oil to your regular black coffee or weight loss coffee and give it a good blend until it turns creamy. If you’re a Latte lover, you’d probably like this. Its better latte than never!
- Nutmeg coffee: Adding 1 pinch of nutmeg powder to your espresso shot, improves aroma and effectiveness of the drink. Another added benefit of this drink is it improves overall immunity and boosts metabolism.
Health Benefits of Weight loss coffee
- It is a Low-calorie beverage
- Boosts your BMR – at this rate you can burn more calories even when you are at rest.
- Stimulates metabolism and aids in weight loss.
- Cuts down your stubborn belly fat
- Keeps your nervous system on!
- Boosts energy and enhances performance
- Supports digestive health
- Supports muscle function
- Improves heart health.
Weight loss Coffee can be beneficial in your weight loss journey but gulping down too many cups of coffee has its own pitfalls.
Caffeine overload can lead to
- Rebound Fatigue
- Increased heart rate
- Insomnia (lack of sleep)
- Frequent urinary urgency
- Deplete Vitamin B1 and calcium
- Loose stools, GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disorder)
How much caffeine is too much?
Maximum intake of caffeine for adults can be up to 400 mg /day which is equal to 4 standard cups of brewed filter coffee. And pregnant woman should not exceed more than 200 mg/day. But keep it in moderation!
Know your caffeine content!
To know if you’re going overboard on caffeine, know the caffeine content of your favorite coffee drinks.
- Standard coffee – freshly brewed (240 ml) – 96 mg of caffeine.
- Espresso (30 ml) – 63 mg of caffeine
- Espresso double shot (60 ml) – 126 mg of caffeine.
- Latte’s like americano’s, cappuccinos, flat whites – 63 mg of caffeine
- Nespresso (40 ml) – 65 mg of caffeine
- Instant coffee (2 tsp)- 5g contain – 63 mg of caffeine
- Decaf coffee (240 ml) – 2 mg of caffeine
- Green coffee (240 ml) – 20 mg of caffeine
So more the caffeine, the more you’re putting yourself at risk. If you’re planning to cut down your caffeine per day for weight loss, switch to decaf coffee.
Let’s see the benefits of decaf coffee with respect to weight loss
Decaf coffee that helps you lose weight
Decaf coffee is nothing but decaffeinated coffee, which means the caffeine content is removed from your coffee beans. You might be wondering how decaf coffee can help in weight loss when caffeine is the main component for fat and weight loss. This is something very interesting, as we saw that caffeine makes you hyper, keeps you active it wrecks your ability to sleep, whereas decaf coffee helps you reach good quality, deep night sleep, which is the time we burn most of fat.
So, deep sleep is a key factor to lose/ burn fat.
Why don’t you give this a try?
Weigh yourself before going to sleep and weigh yourself first thing in the morning after a good night’s sleep and see the difference in weight for yourself!
Green coffee that helps you lose weight
Instead of coffee beans, the seeds of the coffee fruits are used here, unlike our regular coffee beans these seeds are not roasted, so the chlorogenic acid which is present in coffee beans are retained to a high extent. This component acts as antioxidant and helps to burn fat effectively.
Studies have shown that green coffee aids in cutting down your unwanted fat and supports weight loss. It is still better than the regular cup of coffee because of its relatively low caffeine content.
Healthy Coffee Alternative for weight loss
- Teeccino is a delicious blend of organic herbs like chicory, carob, dandelion seeds plus fruits and nuts that undergo the same process as coffee. Here are some benefits of Teeccino for weight loss
- Low in calories
- Helps in avoiding cravings (so you tend to eat less)
- Gives you steady natural energy boost during dieting
- Provides nutrients and satisfies the urge for a dessert as it contains natural sweeteners like dates.
Though Weight loss coffee has shown amazing results with respect to weight loss/fat loss, moderation is always the key! As it comes with the number of side effects when the caffeine intake goes overboard.
So, be mindful of your coffee intake- one cup a day!
Decaf coffee or low caffeinated beverages like green coffee can be an amazing addition to your list of weight loss coffees, without overloading caffeine.
Keep this in mind espresso only when depresso! As its going to give your brain a warm hug. One cup of coffee a day can keep all your worries away.
Good exercise, good deep sleep, and good diet (yes! With your cup of coffee) makes it a perfect way to lose your stubborn weight.
To all the coffee lovers out there stop procaffeinating and be fa-brew-lous! 😉
Written by Aishwarya Deepika, ENHAPP Nutritionist and Wellness Coach